"Hickam Air Force Base" here is a part of Joint Base Perl Harbor and consists of 2850 acres of land. The base was named after Lt. Col. Horace Meek Hickam who had advocated the airpower at the beginnings of aviation. The runways are shared with Honolulu International Airport next to the base. (←)
There is a flag pole inside the rotary in the central part of the base. (→)
The model on the pedestal is P-40 "Warhawk" that was the main fighter on Perl Harbor. (→)
At the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Ace pilots Kenneth M. Taylor and George Welch claimed to shoot down two D3A "Val" from Kaga with P-40s whose manerverbility was much worse than A6M "Zero".
There are many monuments around here. (←)
This is a cenotaph where names of people killed in Hickam field at attak on Pearl Harbor were inscribed. (→)
<Way to ⌈Monuments⌋>
The base isn't open to public. You need to be accompanied by a staff to pass a security gate.
There is a rotary in the central part of the base. Monuments are located inside the rotary.
A-26 nicknamed "Invader" was a United States twin-engined light attack bomber and the only combat plane to serve in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. (→)
Many variants had been produced and exported. Last one was retired at Colombian Air Force in 1980. (→)
It was assigned to the 67th tactical reconnaissance wing at Kinpo Air Base during the Korian War. (→)
<Way to ⌈A-26 "Invader"⌋>
There is a rotary in the central part of the base.
B-26 is located on the northwest of the rotary.
On the early morning December 7, the Japanese six aircraft carriers, Akagi, Kaga, Shokaku, Zuikaku, Souryu, and Hiryu lunched 350 planes by two waves. (→)
The first attack wave of 183 planes was lunched at 6:00 A.M. from 230 nautical miles north from Oahu Island and the second of 167 was also lunched at 7:30 from 200 nautical miles.
Innumerable damages are left on the wall of the barracks next to the old runway. (→)
Nine D3A1 "Val", dive bomber called "Kyukyu-Kanbaku" in Japanese, from the first wave and twenty-seven B5N2 "Kate", torpedo bomber called "kyunana-Kanko", from the second wave were assigned to attack Hickam field.
A6M2 "Zero", fighter called "Zero-Sen" had been originally assigned to protect them against U.S. intercepters, but joined with the bombers attacking the air field, because the intercepters were hardly able to take off.
The picture expanded from marked portion of the left picture shows the Barracks and hangers here. (→)
Most of U.S. aircrafts weren't in bunkers, and just placed side by side on the ground because they thought that the possibility of Japanese attack wasn't high enough to make them to prepare for it. (→)
There were total of about 400 U.S. aircrafts on the air fields in Oahu Island, and 188 of them were destroyed and 155 were damaged.
This picture showing a damaged hanger was taken just after the air raid. (←)
The external appearance looks similar to the old one. It seems to have been restored and used until today. (→)
<Way to ⌈Headquaters & Hangers⌋>
The headquaters is located on the south of the rotary.
The Hangers are just behind of the headquaters.
This is F-86E whose first model flew in 1947. Other fighters are F15A, F-4C, and F-102A. (→)
<Way to ⌈Jet Fighters⌋>
Go to southwest on Worthington Ave. from the rotary. The fighters are located on the left side of the Ave.
The fighters are located on the left side of the Ave.
The batteries were turned into a park with the monument in the shape of aircrafts. (→)
"Battery Barri" was named after Capt. Thomas O Barri killed in American Civil War in 1863. (←)
Here, looking south, you get a view of the narrow strait of Pearl Harbor. (←)
The strait extends inland deeply. Navy fleet should be over there. (→)
<Way to ⌈Battery Barri & Battery Chandler⌋>
Go to southwest on Worthington Ave. from the rotary. There is a parking area on the left side of the aveneu, just before the aveneu curving left.
you can walk from the parking to south, and the monument is just on this side of the water.
"Battery Hasbrouck" left here was constructed through 1909 to 1914. It was named after Gen. Henry Comelius Hasbrouck (1839-1910) during American Civil War and had eight 12-inch mortars with maximum range of 15000 yards. (←)
This battery has two gun platforms with four round concrete bases for each platform. The 12-inch mortar was mounted on the each concrete base. (→)
A command post was set up on the center of the rampart to inform the mortars of an aiming point, because direct view from the platforms was shut out by the rampart. You can look down the both platforms from the command post. (→)
The rampart was made of concrete and coverd by soil. Inside the rampart, there are rooms which might be used as magazines or barracks. Ventilators were equipped on the top of the rampart. (→)
Most of those doors on the passage are locked, but one unlocked door is to be an entry point to the inside. (→)
Ducts are equipped throuh each room. There are many chambers like this. (→)
A toilet bowl without a door. Washers are besides the toilet bowl. (→)
<Way to ⌈Battery Hasbrouck⌋>
When going south on Vickers Ave. from the rotary, turn left on Fort Kam Rd. There are trees on the right side of the road in half a mile after turning on Fort Kam Rd.
There is a dirt field behind the trees, and the battery is located on the west of the field.
From sea side, it looks like a mere embankment covered by grass. (→)
Noting is left inside exept a broken concrete pole. It might be a stand of a range finder or a telescope. (→)
These are accessible through steps behind them. A 3-inch quick firing gun with maximum range of 6000 yards was mounted on each platform. (→)
There is a room under the embankment with an entrance on its backside. It might be an magazine for the battery. (→)
<Way to ⌈Battery Hawkins⌋>
When going south on Vickers Ave. from the rotary, turn left on Fort Kam Rd, and turn right on Seaman Ave. There is the battery on the right side of the aveneu in a mile after turning on Seaman Ave.
The battery is located just behind the beach.
Two 6-inch guns with maximum range of 15000 yards were generally hidden in the shelter, while pulled outside to open fire. (→)
Parking spot for figters can be seen from here. (→)
<Way to ⌈Battery Jackson⌋>
When going south on Vickers Ave. from the rotary, turn left on Fort Kam Rd, turn right on Seaman Ave., and turn left on Harbor Dr. There is the battery on the right side of the drive in 200 yards after turning into Harbor Dr.
The battery is located next to the fence separating us from the parking spot.
Two 12-inch guns with maximum range of 30000 yards were generally hidden in a shelter, while pulled outside to open fire. (→)
The picture was taken at the moment the 12-inch gun was firing. (→)
<Way to ⌈Battery Selfridge⌋>
When going to south on Vickers Ave. from the rotary, turn left on Fort Kam Rd, and turn right on Seaman Ave.
Proceed about 400 yards after passing Harbor Dr. The battery is located on the left side.
It has two gan emplacements with 20 ft thick ramparts. Those were trenched by 30 ft from the ground surface and didn't have roofs on it originally. This is the one on the west side.(→)
On each gun emplacement, a 12-inch cannon with maximum range of 30000 yards was mounted on a barbet which was newest at that time and able to pivot for 360 degrees. This is another one on the east side. (←)
It has been the present style seince concrete roofs were add over the cannons in 1942. Anti-air gun sites were also constructed to defend them. This picture had been taken before the roofs added. (→)
<Way to ⌈Battery Closson⌋>
The battery is located between the runways. When going south on Vickers Ave. from the rotary, turn left on Fort Kam Rd, and turn right on Seaman Ave. After crossing the taxi way on Honolulu International Airport, Harbor Dr. changes to Worchester Ave.
The battery is half a mile after crossing the taxi way, and on the left side.